Of course it is! Garage Doors are usually the largest and heaviest appliance in your house. To neglect yearly garage door maintenance is to go against most manufacturer’s recommendations. There’s a whole host of reasons for maintaining your garage door: the biggest factors being safety, cost, and convenience. It is in your best interest to […]
Of course it is!
Garage Doors are usually the largest and heaviest appliance in your house. To neglect yearly garage door maintenance is to go against most manufacturer’s recommendations. There’s a whole host of reasons for maintaining your garage door: the biggest factors being safety, cost, and convenience. It is in your best interest to spend the time to ensure your garage door is running at its best possible performance.
The decision to not maintain your garage door should be carefully considered. There have been legal cases that pushed the industry to implement new consumer protections and installation guidelines. It’s been found that the majority of accidents are a result of installers and homeowners not following guidelines that were created to protect them. Here at Gateway Garage Doors, we believe it is paramount to follow industry guidelines to ensure proper function and safe operation of your garage door and operator system.
Why should you care?
Consider the safety aspect
Having periodic service performed on your garage door means an expert can provide a complete inspection and thorough analysis of the condition of all parts involved in the system. This allows potential issues to be addressed the moment they start to present themselves and provides the homeowner with additional peace of mind that there won’t be an accident or unexpected breakdown.
Safety is an important and persistent issue within any industry, and the garage door industry is no exception. There have been many documented cases of accidents and injuries attributed to garage doors. By placing an emphasis on safety and maintenance, we find that it’s possible to substantially reduce your risk and liability.
- In 2002, there were 13,150 garage door related injuries (US Consumer Product Safety Commission)
- In 2007, there were 13,325 garage door related injuries (NEISS)
- In 2013, there were 15,259 garage door related injuries. (National Safety Council)
Avoid Expensive Garage Door Repairs
With properly performed maintenance, you can reduce the amount of wear and tear that occurs from normal use of a garage door. Upkeep and service should be done on a regular schedule that is determined by how much a household uses the door. DASMA recently published an article showing a trend that most homeowners are using their garage door as their main entry point. The more often your garage door is used, the more strain is placed on the door and operator. With that in mind, a maintenance plan can be created that suits your individual needs. This ensures that parts are serviced and their life extended as much as possible, and consequently this prevents minor repairs and breakdowns from building up and creating costly situations.
- Regular maintenance puts you in a proactive position, minimizing emergency service calls that can often add as much as $200 to the cost of any repair.
- Eliminate the circumstances that can cause damage to your vehicle from a falling or malfunctioning door or operator.
- Minimize your liability and reduce your homeowners insurance with a safe and reliable garage door and operator.
- Always be in total control of your garage door. Enjoy the reliability of never missing an appointment from a door that won’t open or close.
- Extends the functional life of your garage door. The industry standard for garage door life is 10,000 cycles. By keeping up with regular maintenance you can extend that life as much as possible.
We here at Gateway Garage Doors and Gates hope this helps to explain the importance of maintaining your garage door and operator system. Educating our clients is important to help them make informed decisions at all points of the service process. We want to hear your opinions! If you’d like to share something you found interesting, or can recall a time you had to deal with a garage door problem brought on by a neglected door, share it in the comments below! And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to comment below or send us an email anytime. We would be happy to answer any questions and welcome any, and all, feedback.